Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Local Hero: Zoe of SW Craft Club

                      
SW Craft Club is a blog dedicated to all things ‘crafty’ taking place in South London. The blog was started by Zoe in Oct 2010 and has already picked up a lot of momentum. The Crafty Fox recently met up with Zoe to find out more...

So…tell us a bit about yourself?
I live in Clapham and have been in London for 10 years now. I studied fashion, have an arts background and work for an arts university. It’s an office based job but I am surrounded by creative people which is inspiring.

What made you come up with the idea for SW Craft Club?
I was looking for a creative outlet and began researching opportunities online. The majority of things I found were in East or North London. I was after something closer to home and although I knew such things existed, there didn’t seem to be anywhere online that listed activities in South London in one place. I decided to start the blog to fill this gap. I’m not the world’s greatest writer and didn’t even know how to add images to the web when I first started out so it was a challenge. A friend suggested starting a facebook group but I thought that sounded a bit daunting so decided on a blog instead. The idea was to build an interactive site to get people talking and build a network. Craft and social media are not usually connected but I wanted it to be key to how I market and interact with people interested in SW Craft Club.

What have you enjoyed most about starting the blog?
The most encouraging thing is getting positive feedback either on the blog itself or via twitter and facebook. I have gained over 600 followers on twitter since October. I have met lots of new people locally and also been invited to take part in a number of community projects which I wouldn’t normally have been involved with. I’m currently volunteering in a Lambeth council community project in West Norwood, aimed at creating a monthly market, including crafts, called the Norwood Feast.  

What are your plans for SW Craft Club in 2011?
It would be fantastic if I could grow the blog into a fully functioning website which would help the local crafts community to interact. This would mean that I could add lots of useful features which aren’t available on a blog.

What is your favourite crafty pastime?
It’s really difficult to pick one but for the moment, it’s probably cross-stitch. I have recently joined the stitch n’bitch group in Balham which I’m really enjoying. It’s a great way to meet new people and learn a new skill. Watch this space, you may even see some SW Craft Club cross-stiches soon!

Thanks to Zoe for taking the time to chat and for helping to promote The Crafty Fox Market. You can find SW Craft Club at http://swcraftclublondon.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment